Wednesday, October 24, 2007

finally finding words, albiet with typos

A city is really only a sum of its inhabitants. Sometimes a city can become more than it seems at first because people come in and they attract more and they attract more. But at the end of the day, the only reason people say on city is any better, weell the only way I can judge a city, anyway, is the sume of its inhabitents and their attitudes towards life. You can add up the people in New York you get along with, and subtract the ones that piss you off, and you’ll get a rating for new york. You can do this for any city, anywhere.
I thought Shanghai was soulless, because that’s what lonely planet said. Then I came, and I saw people having fun . I The first thing I thought was, “lonely planet isn’doesn’t want Chinese people to have fun.” But guess what – I don’t want to have that kind of fun, so the fun-havers can’t really go in my positive column.
I created this blog not knowing what I would find in Shanghai. But what I found were a few people with the powre to dominate a group of acquaintances and random-people-on-the-street and busnessmen and pretty girls and shiny taxies that weigh down my calculation. Man, it’s reall aboyut the people. So how am I supposed to express that in a blog? What am I supposed to do – say “we talked about this, and then about this, and wow boy didn’t we connect and wasn’t it great. Or I could put my new friends in a box and say this person is like this and this person is like this. It’s one thing to do that after someone dies, but with them still alive it just doen’s feel right. Well, certinly not on a freaking blog, or anything public.
So that said, Ill convey a few moments, focussing on the environment around us.

4 comments:

nico said...

i rate cities solely by their contribution to hip hop

Andrew in Egypt said...

i think you are right in that what makes a city a city, truly at least, is the people who live there. I mean sure NYC is "what it is" because of the different boroughs but each of those boroughs are what they are because of the type of people that live in it...but yeah good point and i agree.

Haha, i guess also you are right with how to address friends, i never realized when i do my thursday dedication thing that i am simply putting my friends in a box and displaying them like some sort of object. So i apologize to those i did that to and i'll stop.

cafall said...

hehe I disagree, Andrew - those are long time friends and you're conveying specific things. I think there's little point in saying something like "so and so is from this city and does this job and is this tall" and so on, but I would also feel weird trying to convey a conversation we had. I mean imagine doing either of those for me or the other people you dedicated to...

Vixor said...

Well we can't know everyone, Alex. If a particular conversation or person had an impact on you, then I don't think you're doing the other person a disservice by writing about it; we're learning about you more than the other person anyway.